Saturday, December 27, 2014

Insights 20/14

I have really traveled a ton of emotional distance this year and feel like I have a lot to be proud of. This reflection is for me to put into words some of the things I learned. I am using the practice of writing the things I learned down and reflecting on them to solidify them in my mind and to retain these lessons and have them be permanent learning that I continue to build on.  I enjoy the opportunity to share this with others, as it might spark conversations, and it can help me be feel accountable to have let other people in on what I’m up to.

I’ll be saying “I learned” but it is more accurate to say “I am learning”, as this is all ongoing subject to continual upkeep and monitoring.

I learned to identify some of my interaction styles and behaviors as “codependent”**. I have read and reflected a lot on my dynamics of past relationships and ongoing friendships.  I find labeling my interaction defaults as “codependent” to be 1. Extremely helpful and hopeful because it means it has a name; it’s a thing. There are patterns of my childhood that fit with why I have developed this way of interacting, and there are things to do to change it.  2. Kind of hilarious to be so TEXTBOOK of a case 3. A bit humbling to realize my problems aren’t all that unique, special, or mystifying—they are almost predictable.

I’ve made a lot of progress in identifying codependent patterns and working to operate in reality and express what I want from my relationships, to change dynamics with friends and to insist on connections that are healthy and satisfying for me.

I learned that I distort things in my mind and often don’t allow positive messages of love, attraction, or acceptance to come in. I am totally relearning how to interact with my social environment and to accept reality good or bad and to take peoples words and actions for the truth instead of trying to make up meaning for it, whether I exaggerate it to be more or less caring than it is.

I learned how to let people leave from my life. I learned to let people go. I was honest and I didn’t say anything I regret at all. I was compassionate towards others but equally compassionate toward myself, insisting on keeping myself happy and safe.

I really, really learned A LOT about valuing myself and letting people who aren’t valuing me leave and not come back. I really absolutely had to love myself and for being me and not for the role I play in other people’s lives or the things I give to them. I learned to stop compulsively giving at the expense of myself.

I learned to stick up for myself and say when I was hurt by other people.

I learned to say no in a lot of ways. I learned to be compassionate toward people but not let them hurt me or stay in my life if they were being destructive.

I learned to distance myself from my parents and the feelings of guilt and wanting to do things for them or make their lives better. I have been better at not feeling responsible for their happiness.

I learned how to listen to my intuition and to recognize signs of people that are toxic and not good to me.

I learned to not bond with people over suffering and low points and addictions and misery. I learned to demand more out of my relationships than simply commiserating and being down in the dirt with each other.

I learned to open up to people I trust and to let people in a bit more than I usually would.

I am learning not to act preemptively or reactively. I am learning how to stop trying to control my environment or do detective work about what could be wrong or try to assume other peoples intentions, desires, or needs. I am learning how to let people be adults and interact with them as competent and capable adults instead of charity cases, socially inept, needy people who can’t advocate for themselves.

I have learned to be open and clear and to not expect the worst or that things aren’t working or that something is wrong. I am still working on this, but assuming the best and assuming that people are adults that can communicate if something is amiss is a huge new way of interacting for me.

I am learning to enjoy my strengths and be strong and happy and proud while acknowledging this doesn’t make other people shrink or feel bad. If it does it is saying something about them, not about me. I am learning to value people and think highly of them and not assume them to be their weakest selves. I can interact with people with respect and faith that they have the ability to accomplish what they want.

I am learning how to be supportive towards people without assuming responsibility or giving them advice or trying to solve any of their problems. I am assuming people are strong, even if they show weakness; they aren’t defined by their weakness, depression, or problems. They are strong and capable.

I am not letting people lean on me or leach off of me or depend on me too much. I am keeping emotional boundaries with all of my friends.

I am remaining emotionally self sufficient and not letting others impact me too much. I will keep good boundaries with myself and be honest and aware of how I am feeling.

I am learning to not be afraid or distrusting of my feelings and learning to look at them as tools to uncover how I am responding to current situations or past/future scenarios. I am learning to question both my emotions and my thoughts equally and be looking for outcomes that lead to a happier me.

I learned to feel more competent socially, to be more outgoing and open to sharing myself and my sense of humor and thoughts with more people and have received positive affirmation from that.

I learned to be a better student—to learn the shit I need, to work the system, to not berate myself or feel bad if I am not perfect.

I have learned not to value myself for my grades and have learned to be pretty confident in my abilities as a person who can learn new things.

I learned how to navigate uncomfortable work situations and how to make connections with people in professional settings.

I learned a ton about social justice topics, politics, and perspectives.

I learned a ton about white identity and my spot in the US as a white settler (always learning more about that).

I learned how to use humor and be upbeat in stressful situations. I learned ways to not feel bogged down and how to pull and push on humor and others to stay energized.

I learned how to be at peace with not doing everything possible. I learned how to let myself have time and be okay with not going to every social event or every opportunity. I learned to forgive myself when I don’t do it all.

I learned to take care of myself and make myself comfortable in my surroundings. How to plush things out, get cozy, spend money on small things that make me happy, make my environment a place I want to be and to set things up in my home the way I want them.

I learned to take care of myself.

I learned to be my own friend.

I learned to have fun with myself.

I learned how to be alone but not feel lonely.

I learned how to shift my perspective and be generous to myself and caring toward myself.

I guess part of my reason for writing this is the desire to make a stronghold on what I have going on and the progress I have made and to really set that shit in stone and keep on moving without losing any ground. I learned so much this year and I want to keep learning.  A lot of this year was painful and kind of miserable. I cried a lot. I felt a lot of things. I had a rough time of it for a while but it has really transformed my relationships and has lead me to better self understanding and self love. I did take care of myself and I did learn to love and be there for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment